Sunday, March 9, 2008

How students explain the experiment...

Jeff Utecht blogs about Carol Jordan's use of video here as a means for students to explain a science experiment. I like seeing how other teachers use technology in different and new ways to transform learning.

I am using smaller examples in my classroom teaching. For example, students performed little experiments using ammonia, phenolphthalein indicator and various materials to demonstrate diffusion and osmosis first hand. Students followed a worksheet that guided them through the thinking and the parts of the stations they experimented at.

In the end, they were to choose one or two of the activities in the lab that best demonstrated their understanding of the processes of diffusion and osmosis. They used a picture they took of that part and related it to their discussion of difusion and osmosis. It was a great way for students to customize their delivery of information.

Many students chose a voicethead as their way of demonstrating knowledge in the cell portfolio (example here and also seen below) while others used a wiki page (example here).




Though I am a long way from where I want to be, I am focusing on students researching and creating content while using great technology is telling the story of their learning. wonderful ideas like Carol Jordan's really helps to expand my thinking!




Tags: , , ,

3 comments:

  1. Louise, thanks for posting the student examples! It gives me food for thought re: my own student projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff, Louise! Thanks for sharing.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the great comments! Tim is the best as his project was a springboard for what I created.

    ReplyDelete