Thursday, September 25, 2008

I'm incompetent...

...I must be. Scott McLeod from Dangerously Irrelevant has a great snippet from Godin about those who refuse change. The one part I like is
Competent people resist change. Why? Because change threatens to make them less competent. And competent people like being competent. That's who they are...
I have always been one to take a risk (more times than not) and definitely have had my shares of failures, but through all of this I have reinvented myself and still continue to daily. And as a result, I have learned a lot about myself, what I value, and more than can be mentioned.

This is a huge barrier - how can this one be overcome? Truly, what we know of school would have to change as well as how one moves through their career.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

4 comments:

  1. Louise, I read the title of your post and did a double-take; what a way to grab your readers and make a point!

    Should we relish being incompetent?! Perhaps competent people resist change only when it is imposed upon them. I am embracing the change that I control because it will make me more competent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think feeling you are incompetent impels you to find and process new information and take a risk. When we are comfortable about that change, there will be something else "that is not good enough." I think we cycle between competence and "incompetence". We don't follow the status quo but we can take change at our own pace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I agree that competent people resist change. From my experience in and out of the classroom it seems that confident people have a good send sense of self and are more willing to take a risk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @elona: I do agree with what you are saying. I think the original piece was making a point that competent people do their job and maybe a little more, but are quite satisfied at where they are. Confident people are willing to take a risk because they believe there is something more and that they are entirely capable.

    ReplyDelete