Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Google Teacher Academy - the start...

Wow! I can't believe I am here. This is just so surreal.

Mark Wagner, from CUE, had the best quote:
This is like driving a race car. Don't look at where you are, but where you want to go! (great way to look at the technology ride!)

He asked a question:
How is your teaching like driving a car so that you can come out of the turn three turns from now?
Tags: GTA, google
Google mission: Organize the world's information and make it accessible. DNA of GTA: Search, learn, and share.

10 things Google has found to be true (in parentheses is edited for schools/student/teacher):
  • Focus on the user and all else will follow (student)
  • It's best to do one thing really, really well (teach a few things)
  • Fast is better than slow
  • Democracy on the web works (in the classroom)
  • You don't need to be at your desk to need an answer (at school)
  • You can make money without doing evil (teach)
  • There's always more information out there
  • The need for information crosses all borders
  • You can be serious without a suit
  • Great just isn't good enough
Google culture and how it relates to school. 20% time is the 20% time that they spend on things that are not related to their main job. 80% of the time you work on what your boss tells you. The other 20% time is what we are working on that we care about (GTA is one 20% project.) 80% of the time in schools can be standards and 20% time on what matters to the students.

GTA goal: Improve teaching and learning by leveraging innovative tools.

What is my action plan? Using podcasting could reach other teachers in the district with time conflicts, peer to peer coaching... just thinking here...

What are some of the ways you would like to learn about new innovations in your district?

No comments:

Post a Comment