The problem with books:
- They use a lot of resources
- They are devoid of anything really meaningful. Better stories and context can be found online. The basic information can also be found there too.
- There are so many errors in textbooks. Last year I researched our biology book and was amazed at the errors I discussed here. I have never been one to use the book exclusively. Prior to receiving a laptop cart in my room, students often asked whether they needed to bring it as they hardly ever used it.
- The materials that come with book adoption have generally not been used exclusively by me either.
- We adopt books every 7 years or so. Before we get the books they are already out of date in terms of information. Having an online option means that it is updated more frequently. students have access to the online portion.
- The simulations in some of these online portions are actually quite good.
- Online activities also have information checks for understanding.
What are your thoughts about the current state of publishing and textbooks in any subject area?