Thursday, November 20, 2008

Modeling Inquiry - Inquiry reflection

Please bear with this. I am using these stem starters to look at ways to change the physical and even the time spent in my classroom to better foster collaboration and sharing (if it could be like Google that would be great, but what else can we do?) I encourage any comments or ideas from others!

The following stems are being used in the CFF class on inquiry. They will be used to help students learn how to journal.
  • What seems important here...is that students and scores are looked at as if they are products instead of the individuals they are. How do we focus on individualized learning given the current structure of schools?
  • What I would like to know more about is...what simple changes to the structure of the class period or of the physical classroom that would benefit learning? What does the data show and how can it ne used in my classroom?
  • I wonder...if you make simple changes to the physical environment, can it translate into a change in student learning.
  • The important ideas/conclusions about classrooms...is that they are institutions where the content and dissociated learning are more important than the thoughts, values, and concerns of the students.
  • In my opinion...changing the physical environment can go a long way to creating an environment of collaboration and sharing.
  • This relates or is connected to...the idea that analysis of the environment, research into best practices elsewhere, and connections to what may work locally is a conversation that stakeholders (teachers) need to have and are important.
  • What surprises/fascinates me is...how 21st century skills are necessary but it is difficult to have others buy into it when a majority of adults (and particularly education) does not use collaboration to learn themselves and model for others?
  • What if...there were such a thing as ethic of care that transcended people and the Earth? What would that look like? How do others embed this into their environment that creates and fosters ownership to others in the organization? What do these organizations have in common and how can we use that for our own organization and our students?
  • I feel...as if students understand the imperative for change but feel powerless to find a solution. Students need to find what it is that concerns them and learn to not only find their voice but find a way to create change.
  • My tentative conclusions are...that everyone has the capability to make change to benefit our organization and each other. What resources and ideas do students/teachers/administrators have and what would they like to see changed?
  • What I am learning about the subject, inquiry, and my own thinking processes...that I am always thinking, learning more about subject matter, and how I can create discussions with others in order to understand and hear other viewpoints about the issues. Almost every subject is something that I want to learn more about and learn how to apply to the world around me (or other subjects that I think they apply to).
I found it difficult to journal as I was not sure what the subject matter for this assignment would be. I originally chose an energy crisis but since being back from a visit to Google, was struck by how the physical environment changed how we worked in the physical space. Instead I started looking at my thoughts about space and fostering collaboration and sharing. This is actually something I have been thinking of for some time.

I found that many of my questions were low on Bloom's taxonomy and I had to spend time adding higher level thoughts and questions. Focusing on analysis and evaluation (even creation) is essential for better questioning. I chose a blog as a format for journaling as feedback is key from other sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment