Her blog post Fair use is your friend is a wonderful explanation of Fair use. The following codes that are quoted from her blog are for use by all educators:
- Commenting or critiquing of copyrighted material
- Use for illustration or example
- Incidental or accidental capture of copyrighted material
- Memorializing or rescuing of an experience or event
- Use to launch a discussion
- Recombining to make a new work, such as a mashup or a remix, whose elements depend on relationships between existing works
Kristin has many great links to follow as well as this video which is a must see:
This is some great news for educators who have wondered what was considered able to be used and hopefully removes some of the fear in school districts.
There will be a great session at NECC. I have already signed up for the constructivist celebration that day and unfortunately will not be able to attend the session but hope it is streamed.
Tags: copyright, fairuse, centerforsocialmedia, mediaeducationlab, kristinhokanson