Saturday, October 10, 2009

7 sins

This link was tweeted by @benlouey

The 7 deadly sins of e-learning (my thoughts in italics):

1. old wine, new bottles - if using online as your class format, what is the difference just putting it their. What are you offering that changes the game? I am guilty of that too, but try to offer a variety of activities. Inquiry is a large portion now, but students really need help here.

2. all the bells and whistles - Just using a resource because you can. I look for engaging ways for students to tell their story but look for what will allow for collaboration within a class. Everything else may be cool, but not necessary for learning.

3. unhealthy competition - which is better, face to face learning or online? Not really pertaining to what I do, but whatever a students needs, there should be that kind of school for them.

4. jack of all trades - I am not the power in the class. I am like a director. I invest in the different ways kids can be experts. I still need to go a little further with that.

5. misuse of expert power - I would not call myself an expert. I am a person who saw problems with traditional instruction. Other formats solved my problems. Now looking to solve the rest. Find a problem you have, maybe tech has the solution for you.

6. because I said so - There are many different teaching and learning styles. Many teachers are doing some great things. Where is the data? And does it work everywhere, with every learner? For those who don't believe authentic learning and inquiry are best, what makes you think that rote learning works either? This is problematic: We have to increase test scores, we are not doing a good job, but no one thinks a different way of learning is the way to go either. What other information is deemed meaningful and shows learning has occurred?

7. this won't hurt a bit - There is growing pains no matter what. Those who feel it hurts will definitely take it much slower. I really think the school monopoly needs to go. There needs to be other options and teachers and students should feel free to explore and use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment